People tell you to find a job you like but guess what: after a while, most people don't like their jobs much — if at all.
That's OK: you can excel at what you're paid to do even if you can't stand the thought of going in every day to do it.
Bad attitude?
Deal.
I recall how for the first 7-10 years I was an anesthesiologist I loved it, first thing ever I didn't hate when it came to the field of medicine: med school and internship and a couple years doing G.P. and family doctor locum tenens work.
Then for whatever reason anesthesiology got boring and tedious and I hated the subsequent 25+ years I did it.
I wrote about this once in boj and several people scolded me, one stating she'd be frightened to put her life in the hands of someone like me who hated giving anesthesia.
Silly.
The way I practiced at the end of my career was identical to that during the years I enjoyed it: if you observed me in the OR there's no way you'd ever be able to tell if I was enjoying it or miserable.
Get real.
No comments:
Post a Comment