Monday, August 17, 2026

Why I stopped dictating to AI


A while back I when signed up for Perplexity Pro I was chuffed not only by its excellent and fast responses but also by the fact I could speak as I normally do and it would transcribe what I said and then get to work.

A few weeks ago I stopped dictating and returned to typing.

It became apparent to me that even though Perplexity rarely made a transcription error, my nature is such that I automatically checked what appeared on my screen for typos, misspellings, and their ilk.

The thing is, there's a lag of a couple seconds between speech and appearance onscreen. 

That caused me to stop thinking to check accuracy.

When I type I do that simultaneously with monitoring for errors such that there's never a pause except for thinking.

For the same reason I stopped using the excellent Wispr Flow (free, the way we like it) iPhone transcription app and went back to two-finger onscreen typing.

BTW, Perplexity's base model is free: give it a whirl and see what you think.

Wait a sec — what's that fantastic 2011 film that just came to mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment