For many years my family members, knowing how much of a food person I am, subscribed me to all manner of "Cheese/Sausage/Bacon/etc. of the Month clubs: it was an easy way for them to give me something they thought I'd enjoy without having to go through the contortions of trying to find something I'd like.
After about five years of tossing the unopened packages into the trash each month, I finally decided I couldn't remain silent, because they'd keep doing this forever.
What a waste of money!
When I told my peeps they were really angry, as I knew they'd be, but I simply couldn't play my part in the charade any longer.
Of interest: a couple years later they started up again, like I'd come to my senses or else they forgotten.
This time I got on the phone the moment the first installment arrived and reminded them we'd agreed on not giving these to me any more.
After that year the idiocy stopped.
But I digress.
These clubs cost a couple hundred dollars/year for a monthly delivery.
Why are they a waste for anyone who really likes food?
Because the cheese/bacon/sausage/etc. is not the finest,
Companies like Sargento populate these packages with their products: that is not cheese or summer sausage!
It's what's pejoratively called in the business "industrial cheese and meat;" it's made in giant factories on a huge scale, then shipped often in less then ideal packaging such that it arrives in less than subpar condition, usually in vacuum-packed plastic (top) rather than cheese paper.
Same with bacon and sausage and their ilk: no serious food person would touch these products.
You want to give a maven something they've never had nor heard of?
Order them some Van de Rose bacon.
It's the best bacon you can buy in the U.S.
Be a shining star.

No comments:
Post a Comment