Friday, September 18, 2026

Vacuum Cleaner Throwdown: Dyson v Dustbuster










Long story short: Dustbuster wins.

I've been using a Dustbuster (actually, a number of them since I keep several around, in different rooms so as to minimize my activation energy requirement to use one) for as long as I can remember.

All that time I read about how wondrous Dyson vacuums are but was deterred by their high cost.

Finally I got tired of wondering just how good they are and bought one.

I've had it for a couple years and used it often but have permanently retired it to a closet.

• My Dustbuster (left, above) costs $49.99; my Dyson (right, above; discontinued) cost $399.99.

• The Dustbuster has two speeds, as does the Dyson, but the Dyson has a major ergonomic FAIL: you have to keep strong pressure on the power switch while you're using it. The Dustbuster has a standard power switch, which locks in place where you set it and doesn't require constant pressure. 

I find it incomprehensible that Dyson's design parameters are such as they are. I've read numerous discussions by Dyson about how their switch management ensures power preservation but that's just silly. Who in the  world leaves a portable vacuum on while they go outside to check their mail etc.?

Turns out there are enough people like me bothered by this FAIL that a number of companies have created kludges — power switch add-ons that let you not have to keep pressing the switch (which also forces you into a single hand position that rapidly tires your grip) but instead keep the button in the On position.

I bought two of these add-ons:  both are FAILs. They're difficult to position correctly and easily dislodged while using the vacuum.

• They both do a decent job of vacuuming.

• The Dustbuster's ready to go right now; the Dyson requires me to gather the components from another room where I keep them and carry them into my main workspace and assemble them

• The biggest difference (besides cost) is ease of use: the Dustbuster is light and easy to position precisely, whereas the Dyson is clunky and much heavier and has trouble getting into tight spaces like under my couch and along walls where there's lot of stuff.

• Dustbuster battery life on High is significantly better than the Dyson's MAX setting duration.

• Noise produced by the two machines is about the same.

• Physical effort required by the Dustbuster is more than that needed to use the Dyson since to vacuum the floor with the Dustbuster you have to bend over: I'm fine with that, I can always use a little exercise.

However, the clunkiness of the Dyson's business end and the significant weight of the battery integrated up top with the hand grip require constant repositioning and banging around, which along with the need to hold the power switch down gets old fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment