Stevenson was a psychiatrist, the founder and director of the Division of Perceptual Studies at the University of Virginia School of Medicine, where he served as a professor of psychiatry for fifty years.
When I read the sentence in the headline up top in an interview with him sometime last century, time stopped for me.
His definition trumps all others ever.
Ever since I saw it I've used it often to help me clarify if what I'm doing is what I want to be doing at that moment.
You can too!
But I digress.
A wonderful corollary to Stevenson's observation is from one Kinky Friedman: it appeared in an interview with him that appeared in the now defunct Style section of the Washington Post in the early 1980s.
Friedman remarked, "I'm in search of a lifestyle that does not require my presence."
Bingo.
These two brief yet transcendental epigrams have guided me well.
Lagniappe: read Herman Melville's sublime 1856 story "Bartleby, The Scrivener" here.
Free, the way we like it.

No comments:
Post a Comment